Hey Busy Mom’s!
Do you want to learn how to make creamy delicious homemade yogurt in minutes for a fraction of the cost and say goodbye to all the added sugar, additives and artificial colors and flavors found in a lot of popular yogurt brands?
In my book, “Busy Mom’s Cheat Sheet: Raising Happy Healthy Kids”, now available on Amazon, I share 18 tips to teach your kids to understand listed food ingredients and empower them with the knowledge to eat healthy. By learning how to make homemade yogurt, you can implement most of these tips!
I procrastinated making this for so long since the thought of it sounded intimidating to me. But after I did it, I couldn’t believe how easy and short the prep time was and my kids actually prefer it to the organic store bought yogurt I had been buying for years.
I bought my yogurt maker from Amazon called Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker. I chose this one since it was very reasonably priced at $19.99 and liked that the containers were glass vs. plastic. The only negative about this machine that it doesn’t have an auto shut off and auto timer but for this price, I can set my own timer on my phone and shut it if off accordingly. They now have newer model that shuts off automatically if you want to pay a bit more for the convenience.
Below is my recipe for Vanilla Maple Peach Yogurt that has become a weekly staple in my house. You can replace peaches with any of your kids favorite fruits. Strawberries would work great as well. Or you can just keep it plain and add different toppings to the yogurt before eating.
Note that these directions apply to the Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker and may vary with other yogurt makers.
VANILLA MAPLE PEACH YOGURT
- 5 tablespoons organic plain yogurt (to use as a starter)
- 8 cups (1 quart) whole milk
- 2 peach halves finely chopped (The one I used is Trader Joes’s jarred peaches since the fruit is contained in its own juices vs. sugary syrup)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pour the milk into a pot and bring it to a quick boil and then remove it from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once the milk is cool, remove 6 ounces of it into separate bowl.
- Add the starter yogurt into 6 ounces of milk and mix until smooth.
- Add smooth mixture to the remaining milk in the pot.
- Add chopped peaches, maple syrup and vanilla extract to the pot.
- Pour the liquid into the yogurt containers and place the yogurt containers into the yogurt maker WITHOUT the lids.
- Put the yogurt maker cover on, turn on the yogurt maker and set timer on your phone or stove for 8 hours for whole milk (recommended), 10 hours for 2% milk and up to 12 hours for skim milk.
- After timer goes off, turn off and unplug yogurt maker.
- Cover the yogurt containers with their lids and refrigerate at least 3 hours before eating.
- Serve with fresh fruit like berries or banana’s, granola and a tiny squirt of raw honey or organic chocolate syrup for an occasional treat!
Note: For plain yogurt, remove vanilla extract, maple syrup and peaches and add another 10 ounces of milk.
If you want to get more recipes, inspiration and tips delivered to your inbox, sign up for my free newsletter on the top right hand side of the page. Can you use a cheat sheet to raising happy healthy kids? Then check out my book, “Busy Mom’s Cheat Sheet: Raising Happy Healthy Kids”, now available on Amazon.