Hey busy moms, dads & caregivers,
Who says you can’t have chocolate for breakfast? These Chocolate Chip Muffins have healthy carbs from whole wheat flour and oatmeal, contain fruits (apple), veggies (carrots) and mood & brain-boosting healthy fats from flax seed. I’ve made a batch of these on a Sunday night to help prep for the week and then serve it for breakfast with a cup of tea or smoothie. It is also great as an afternoon snack.
Yield: 10-12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 4 ounces butter or oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 apple, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. flax seed meal
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine baking soda, baking powder, flour, chocolate chips, shredded apple, shredded carrots and flax seed meal.
- In another bowl, combine butter or oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.