Hey busy moms, dads & all caregivers,
Looking to add more plant-based protein to your family’s diet? Look no further, these Lentil Patties are high in soluble fiber and a great source of protein and iron. Benefits of incorporating this low-calorie legume into your diet are improved digestive and heart health while stabilizing blood sugar and increasing energy.
Try making these on a meatless Monday–a great vegetarian burger option or eaten solo dipped in hummus or tahini. My kids love when I pack these for lunch. You can make a bunch and freeze, heating as you go in the toaster oven.
Yield: 12 lentil patties
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded onion
- 1/2 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped green herbs (cilantro, parsley or combo)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 crushed cloves
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Rinse lentils, boil for approximately 15 minutes and drain. You can speed things up by buying precooked lentils.
- Shred carrots and onions with grater or food processor. Chop kale/spinach and green herbs.
- In skillet, add olive oil and sauté onions, carrots and kale/spinach for approximately 2-3 minutes
- Add green herbs and lentils to food processor and pulse to chunky consistency (not smooth).
- Remove herb lentil mix from food processor to mixing bowl.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, garlic and 1 egg to bowl and mix.
- Make into patties to your desired size.
- Scramble 2nd egg in bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs to another bowl.
- Dip patties first in egg and then in breadcrumbs both sides to bind.
- Place patties on greased sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.