A bowl of your mom’s chicken soup can help fight a cold! This is not an old wives tale. Chicken soup is a proven healing liquid handed down to us over many generations. A big bowl of chicken soup can help clear nasal congestion and ease cold symptoms due to its mild anti-inflammatory effect.
The key to its healing is to simmer the bones with vegetables and herbs over many hours to pull out all the amazing vitamins, minerals, proteins and amino acids. This nutrient dense broth lines the stomach and protects it from toxins.
The healing effects of broth are not limited to chicken. Bone broth from beef, lamb or even fish can have similar healing properties.
I make a pot of chicken soup at least once a week during winter cold season months, a perfect dish on a cool winter night. What makes this recipe supercharged is using chicken broth as liquid base in addition to boiling fresh chicken to make broth more concentrated and potent.
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks or 1 whole chicken
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 thyme spring
- 1 tbsp. dry parsley (or a handful of fresh parsley)
- 1 quart chicken broth (preferably Organic)
- 1 quart water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Saute chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add garlic and thyme and saute to flavor oil.
- Add chicken and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add broth and water and let simmer for 60 minutes (minimum) preferably 2-3 hours.
- Skim off fat from top of broth.
- Remove chicken and debone before adding it back to the pot.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add dill and parsley at the end.
P.S. For a limited time only, give yourself or a loved one the gift of my award-winning book, “Busy Mom’s Cheat Sheet: Raising Happy Healthy Kids”. Learn the tools to lead and teach your kids to have a healthy happy life, including 45 easy, quick, healthy delicious recipes even the pickiest bellies at home will love! Enter discount code VV4APGS4 at checkout.