Who says you can’t have a healthy version of fried rice that tastes amazing. In this recipe, I added carrots and peas to this recipe, but you can add any veggies you have on hand that your family enjoys. My kids also enjoy it with broccoli and mushrooms. Quinoa can be used in this recipe too, for added protein. Fish sauce adds a tang without making the dish taste fishy, which my kids would never stand for. As a side dish or a main course, this recipe will become a family favorite.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup cooked rice (brown preferred)
- 1 extra-large organic egg
- 1 cup cooked sweet peas
- 1/2 cup cooked carrots
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. organic tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce or fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. organic canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Add canola or olive oil to a wok or sauté pan.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds on medium flame until fragrant.
- Add cooked peas, carrots and rice and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tamari and fish sauce and mix well coating all of the rice, for 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, move the rice to half of the pan leaving the other half of the pan empty.
- In that empty space cook 1 egg, breaking it into small pieces with a spatula.
- Mix the eggs with the rice mixture.
- Cook for another minute adding the sesame oil in the last few seconds.