Hi busy moms, dads & all caregivers,
This Lentil Soup is so yummy and hearty, you can even serve it over rice or quinoa like a stew. High in soluble fiber and a great source of protein and iron, the benefits of incorporating this low-calorie legume into your diet are improved digestive and heart health while stabilizing blood sugar and increasing energy. This soup is a staple at my house, and we usually don’t even have leftovers for the next day.
Yield: 6-8 bowls
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 spring thyme
- 2 tbsp. ketchup (organic preferable)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups of hot water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Chop all vegetables.
- Add chopped onion to skillet and saute until lightly brown.
- Add chopped tomato, garlic, thyme, ketchup and tomato sauce to the skillet and saute for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chicken drumsticks to the skillet and saute 3 minutes per side.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, lentils, broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until chicken and lentils are cooked, approximately 1 hour.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.