With kids going back to school and the weather cooling down, I wanted to make a summer-inspired soup they can eat after school. I still had a ton of Zucchini in my refrigerator from my garden’s bounty harvest, so I decided to make a Cream of Zucchini Soup.
This no cream version of this soup is creamy as it should be without the extra fat and dairy. Zucchini is a great source of vitamin C, manganese and fiber and a good source of B vitamins and calcium. Even though Zucchini is a low-calorie food, it keeps you full due to its high water and fiber content– a bonus for those of us wanting to lose some unwanted summer pounds.
Yields: 4-6 bowls
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/4 parsley fresh, optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop all vegetables.
- Saute vegetables in pot with olive oil.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree in blender until smooth.
- Top with dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (optional).